Sunday, March 29, 2009

Pasta shells with beans, greens, and sausage

Just another friendly reminder, I'm all over the place with product photography, yah I suck at it so don't cc this blog ;)

I made this for dinner tonight and it was soooooo good! I originally was going to use hot sausage but someone decided to cook it for himself a few days ago...not mentioning any names.

I guess it was better that he did because I used turkey sweet sausage and it actually makes for less points.

8 points per serving/makes 6 servings

Here's the ingredients:

3 cups small pasta shells
8 ounces sweet or hot italian sausage, casings removed
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons dried sage
1 (19-ounce) can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups torn spinach leaves
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Cook the pasta according to package directions until slightly firm.

2. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then add the sausage and brown, breaking it apart with a spoon, about 3 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.

3. Add the garlic and sage to the same skillet and saute' until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the beans, spinach, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the spinach is just tender, about 5 minutes.

4. Add the drained pasta, sausage, salt, and pepper. Simmer until just heated though, about 3 minutes.
I used 99% fat free chicken broth instead of the low sodium like the recipe called for. I think the next time I make it, I will probably use more broth because the shells did soak up the broth really quickly. Now I'm looking at the label on the 99% fat free and it's 960mg sodium. Hmmmm which is worse higher salt or less fat?

You just have to try this recipe, you won't be disappointed!

Per serving (1-1/2 cups): 413 calories
7g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 68g total carbohydrate, 7g dietary fiber, 20g protein, 107mg calcium

0 comments:

Post a Comment